Re: [IRCA] TAs Last Night

I've been checking most early evenings, and there hasn't been too much other than the usual big signals. I didn't try later in the evening. I haven't had a whisper on 1476 or 1386, even during the best days in November and early December, and being good mid-channels you'd think there would be something! 1494 R. Corsa used to be indistinguishable from France synchros, but I believe they run Bleue on one and Info on the other, so Corsica is a nice logging, a separate radio "country" by some standards. Good work! Jim Renfrew, Holley NY

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry McLarnon" <bdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:06 AM
Subject: [IRCA] TAs Last Night

I'm a bit surprised to see no mentions of TA reception last night... I guess
I had my own private opening.  I suspect it was geographically fairly
selective, and didn't extend out west. I almost missed it myself - just did a quick check of the band before hitting the sack a little before midnight,
and found nothing special across most of the band, but some BIG TA hets at
the high end.  The French stations on 1377 and 1557 were absolutely huge,
blowing past the domestic QRM.

Checking the less common channels, I found a man and woman in teletalk on
1476... I wasn't sure of the language, but I brought up the R. Euskadi
Irratia (Spain) stream on the net, and sure enough, it was them.  Down to
1386, where I found a big carrier, but couldn't quite coax enough audio out
to be sure it was the Euskadi outlet there.  On to 1494, where I found FF
talk that was // to the France Bleu/R. Corsa streaming. SS on several other
top end channels, such as 1602... big het on 1611, but Vatican there is
unneeded, so I didn't spend time on it... orchestral music on 1539 (an
extremely tough channel here due to huge 1540 domestics), presumably Germany. I then found a man and woman talking on 1575, and paralleled it with the RAI
Radio 1 stream.

At that point (0600 UTC), I had to call it quits and get some sleep, but it was fun while it lasted! 1476 Spain and 1494 France were new loggings here.
I've seen this before, where the rebound from a solar disturbance can
produced enhanced propagation of some sort, especially on the more southerly TA paths. Whatever the mechanism, it's a welcome change, especially during
the January blahs...

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON