[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Early Morning TP's for 11-8

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Early Morning TP's for 11-8

Hello All,

With both the local weather and the TP conditions seemingly entering a deep
 freeze here, DXing was attempted at 0900 UTC with a 3' homemade bedside
loop, and hopes of strong TP's during the Asian sunset.
As is usual during this period, signals were up and down, and required some
 serious patience before anything strong stepped out of the TP pack.
Because  of the awkward local hour, though (0100), patience is usually hard to
come  by.

Around 0920 five stations were fading in and out with audio, namely
594-JOUK, 657-Pyongyang (strong warbling carrier, but puny audio), 747-JOIB,
972-HLCA and 1134-JOQR. These five stations played hide-and-seek until around
0945, when the "game" became too inconvenient to continue. Only these five
seemed to make it to audio-- the lesser TP's stayed at weak carrier level. Of
 the five, 594-JOAK seemed to have the "best" signal, with this recording
of a  lady announcer at 0922 UTC.

_http://www.mediafire.com/?wmwejidqjnk_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?wmwejidqjnk)

After this mediocre DXing session, a band check was made at 1510 UTC,
during which the previous five TP's never seemed close to audio. So perhaps the
Asian sunset period really did have the propagation edge this morning,
although  it certainly wasn't anything to shout about. After considering the
entire  process, I'm still having trouble believing I was chasing DX like
594-JOAK, and  even recording it. I guess it shows what happens when the demise
of the  Asian TP season causes "withdrawal" symptoms :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP ultralight (7.5" Slider loopstick  +
CFJ455K5 filter)
36" collapsible-frame PVC loop