Re: [IRCA] OT: audio device

Eric

I have a similar Behringer unit called the UCA-202. As near as I can tell, the difference it that mine only operates at line level, whereas this one can handle both line and mic level audio. The innards are probably the same or similar.

I've used mine for a couple of years to record my DX, make MP3's of old tapes, record programs off the radio., etc. The quality is excellent and I don't have any problems with noise of any kind. I use it my primary audio output as well, either for headphone listening or playing back through an external amplifier, and it works well in that regard too.

The one complaint I have is I can't copy audio from one program to another when the thing is plugged into the laptop. For example, say I have a Spectravue recording made with my SDR-IQ. If I want to make an MP3 of something on the file, I can't get Audacity to record it until after I disconnect the Behringer unit from the USB port I've tried various settings in both programs and in Vista, but so far I haven't had success. Maybe some day I'll find a way to make it happen. In the meantime, it's a minor inconvenience.

Other than that, I think it's well worth having.

Bruce

Eric Floden wrote:
anyone have an opinion on this device?  I tend to put a lot of stock in most
reviews I have found here:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/004080.php

Behringer USB Audio Interface<http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/004080.php>

This digital audio converter is marketed as a high-quality and inexpensive
way to digitize old cassettes and LPs. I’m sure it’s excellent for those
tasks, too, but I’ve found it particularly useful for making audio
recordings on a laptop without a pro-tools budget.

Basically, it's a less noisy way of taking sound from a mic and recording it
onto a computer. Recording on an 1/8-inch-line input can be pretty noisy,
especially on a laptop. This converter cuts out much of the noise, and makes
a usable recording. I recently recorded some narration for a voiceover on a
video I’m putting together, and it works pretty well. It's also USB-powered,
so no need for batteries or an AC power cord. There are more expensive
versions that do a slightly better job, but I find this product does a great
job for the money.