[IRCA] Tecsun PL-380 DSP Receiver-- First Impressions

[IRCA] Tecsun PL-380 DSP Receiver-- First Impressions

Hello All,

As most Ultralight radio enthusiasts are aware, China's premier radio
manufacturer has released yet another DSP-enhanced AM-FM-SW-LW portable for our
consideration. After a wait of about 17 days after ordering from the
outstanding  eBay seller "Anon-Co," I received my new black PL-380 today in a very
 well-packed shipping box, complete with the standard accessory pack (3
rechargeable AA batteries, and a USB cable to charge these batteries from a
computer) plus stereo ear bud phones and a clip-on wire antenna. The  total
cost for this collection was $45.99, plus $24.00 shipping (for registered
air mail from Hong Kong).

Roy (in Australia) has already given us detailed impressions of his
PL-380's performance, which were much appreciated. My comments will  hopefully
augment his reports, and help to clarify some aspects in which  individual
model differences may be coming into play.

Physically the PL-380 has a cabinet the size of a PL-300WT/G8, and may be
pictured as a PL-310 without a round tuning knob (the PL-380 has an internal
 thumbwheel, like the PL-300WT/G8 models).

As Roy has reported, the 4734 IC chip's infamous "soft mute" function
(plaguing the PL-300WT/G8 models, the PL-310 and the Kchibo D96L) has indeed
been turned off in the PL-380. This makes it much easier to tune 1 or 2 kHz up
 or down from a DX station's frequency (to reduce local QRM), without
having  the DX signal drop off severely. For a transoceanic DXer needing to
optimize very weak signals in the face of domestic splatter, this is a major
improvement.

As opposed to Roy's report of his PL-380 being down in AM sensitivity
relative to his PL-310, my new PL-380 seems to have AM sensitivity  equivalent
to the PL-310 models here, both on the high and low band  frequencies. There
may be individual differences in the loopstick  construction process for the
PL-380 models coming into play (such as we have  experienced in the
PL-300WT/G8 models), resulting in variable AM sensitivity. We  will know for sure
when there is a larger sample base (and a larger sample base  of PL-310's).

With the exception of the "soft mute" function being disabled in the
PL-380 model, the overall AM-DXing performance of my new PL-380 seems  identical
to the PL-310's here. Both models have exceptional 1 kHz DSP  selectivity
for an inexpensive pocket portable, and should be should  be ideal for one of
our hobby's ultimate thrills-- chasing TA's or TP's  with a hand-held
receiver.

The FM, SW and LW performance of the new PL-380 will be investigated  in
the next few days, and propagation permitting, the new model  will chase TP's
in earnest tomorrow morning. From all appearances, this new  DSP ultralight
is well worth the $45, and should thrill those DXers who have  been eager to
chase transoceanic and domestic DX without the "soft mute"  irritation.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)