Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-8...Strangely Uneven

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-8...Strangely Uneven

D1028Gary@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello All,
Although this morning's general TP propagation was certainly down from the last two days, for some odd reason the NHK powerhouses (especially 693-JOAB, also noted by Nigel) were the strongest they have been all November. Unfortunately the strong Japanese signals (594, 693, 747, 774 and 828 kHz) were not matched by good signals from the rest of Asia, and there seemed to be little co-channel activity on these frequencies. There was a weak co-channel on 693 kHz mixing with JOAB during one of its fades around 1455, but even here the splatter from CBU made it too tough to dig out enough audio for language recognition. Like John I heard the UnID Chinese on 594 kHz mixing with JOAK around 1435, but there was no sign of the elusive Korean. The modified ICF-2010 had a strong carrier at 1445 on 1503 kHz presumably from JOUK (as reported by Nick), but neither of the experimental oversized loops used this morning (9' and 6' sided tuned passive type) were set up to tune that high, so it will have to wait for another day. With the exception of the vibrant Japanese signals, the rest of the band seemed pretty modest this morning-- kind of a reversal of the situation prevailing throughout November so far. Congratulations also to John for logging his first TA's on Orcas Island. With the rapid-response TA-chasing team of Nick, Bruce, Nigel. Patrick and others giving constant updates on this IRCA reflector, it's easy to know when the TA's are exciting, and when they are tanking (like last night). 73, Gary DeBock Spotting receiver: Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick) Main receiver: Modified C.Crane SWP ultralight (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5 filter)
9' and 6' (side) PVC-framed tuned passive loops (in the back yard)
Gary, I was going to say that I was envious of you guys hearing all that TA activity. Then I looked out the window, and no, I'm not so envious. We just left Milford Sound on the west coast of the south island of New Zealand, and it is truly one of God's great gifts. What an absolutely wonderful place to enjoy the majesty of the great outdoors. Having come from some very nice temperatures, though, things were mighty frigid this morning with an icy wind blasting down the sound as we entered. 90 minutes later, my teeth were chattering as I retreated to the Lido deck and a warm cup of hot chocolate and some Dutch split pea soup. Life is very good aboard. I can highly recommend this trip for anyone with a sense of adventure! There's even time to do some DXing on top of all of the other activities. The internet access for the most part is excellent, considering it is via satellite and rather pricey. We even called home this morning ($20 for 12 minutes), a far cry from the $12 a minute or so from the last time we cruised. Good DX to all, and am glad to hear that Colin is having a great time. Believe me, Colin, I share your view on how DXing can impose on paradise!!! By the way, don't forget Radio St. Helena Day (OT, sorry!) next Saturday on 11092.5 USB during our mid to late afternoon and early evening!...........Walt