Re: [IRCA] Laptop computer requirements for an SDR or similar receiver.

Re: [IRCA] Laptop computer requirements for an SDR or similar receiver.

Mike Hawkins wrote:
I've been out of work for almost a year.  I've got time...sadly.  If I had
something like that for FM when there's skip (or meteor showers), I'd be in
heaven.  I still think there needs to be an on-the-fly conversion to MP3.

MP3 is not relevant to the way an SDR uses a wav file for off-line recording. You cannot compress a representation of the RF data across the spectrum.

MP3 compression works by removing portions of the input *audio* wav file, in a manner that the ear can't well distinguish.

This is not at all how the file is being used when an SDR does an off-line recording. There is nothing to compress. It's raw data and all of the data is relevant. An audio compression algorithm cannot be used to process this kind of raw data.

While the SDR recorded file is in wav format, the data is not audio as is the case when a compression from wav to MP3 is generally done.

Rick Kunath