Re: [IRCA] Laptop computer requirements for an SDR or similar receiver.

At 09:22 PM 10/25/2009, you wrote:

>The MSI has enough processing power to record 800 kHz with the Perseus, but to work reliably with 1600 kHz recordings it has to be overclocked a bit. (see Guy Atkins' review)
>

>The keyboard on the Wind is small (as you would expect from a reduced size laptop) and it will be a bit of a problem for everyday, all day usage.
>

>The display is 1024 x 600 if I recall so it chops off a bit of the bottom of the Perseus window. Perseus is not a full screen application, so expect to be chopped for almost everything.
>

>There's also no CD or DVD drive so you won't be burning a CD to send to Radio Nibi Nibi.
>

>Unless you have a strong reason to care about the small size , I really can't recommend the Wind. You can get a full size laptop with a normal keyboard and normal display and DVD drive for less than $400 these days. Only if you plan to fly a lot, go camping a lot, or go to school a lot does the Wind make sense to me.
>

>Chuck

I have to agree with Chuck.  I do travel a lot, so the size was important (and besides, I have a number of other laptops, full sized).  The finger size I thought would be a problem, and it was initially, but within a day or two of use, I was merrily typing away.  My fingers, however, are rather on the smaller size, so your mileage may vary here.  Burning CDs is not a problem.  I just transfer sound files to a thumb drive and voila.  Yes, one has to overclock the CPU, which only seems to work on AC mains, and not battery power.  I guess it consumes too much power to run it that way on battery only.  Yes, 800 kHz is the max in battery mode.  All in all, for at home use, any decent laptop should work fine.  I've always done well with Dells, myself.....Walt