[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-24... Uninspiring

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-24... Uninspiring

Hello All,

I'm happy that Walt and John found sound interesting TP's this morning, but
 my own impressions were closer to Nigel's. In comparison to the great
conditions  we have experienced recently in October, this morning seemed like a
fizzler.

Frequencies of interest (549, 612, 684, 729 and 801) seemed pretty
hopeless, and the TP's that usually boom in here (594, 603, 657, 738 and  747) were
down in strength-- at least during the 1400-1435 period I was  listening
(before the late peak that Walt noted).

After the report from Bruce about VOR possibly being absent from 648 kHz, I
 spent about 10 minutes on the frequency this morning trying to dig out the
 threshold audio, which was certainly was there, but not clear enough for
language recognition. Checking the 639-CNR1 and 657-Pyongyang audio next to
648,  both stations were weaker than they would be on a good morning-- so
it's not  surprising that 648 wasn't going to boom in. My guess is that there
was  something like Chinese conversation on the frequency. Like everybody
else, I had  noticed that 648 wasn't performing like last season, but until
Bruce's report I  had assumed that it was simply a weaker VOR, and passed the
frequency by.

Around 1435 the band seemed hopeless, so I didn't stick around for the late
 peak that Walt noticed. Even so, without the salt water and DU propagation
that  Walt has, the late peak may never have made it here. Considering the
great propagation on previous October days (and the surprise logging of
HLQH-558  yesterday), though, I'll be thankful for what I have :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver: Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver: Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5
filter)
9' PVC-frame tuned passive loop (in the back yard)