[IRCA] Coconut Wireless #23 Radio Heritage News

[IRCA] Coconut Wireless #23 Radio Heritage News

>From the Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net

______________________
The Coconut Wireless
Radio Heritage News
Issue #23 October 2009
______________________

Hello, and welcome to the latest news from the place where popular
culture, nostalgia and radio heritage collide!

     Whether you're enjoying spring or fall, I hope you'll also make
some time to come over to www.radioheritage.net where our new layout
makes finding features, stories, images and more so much easier.

     There's so much freely available content that you really will
find the Google Search helpful - in fact, there are hundreds and
hundreds of pages of stuff about radio broadcasting across the
Pacific!

This issue I want to mention the fantastic dedication to duty by
people at several radio stations in the Samoas during the recent
earthquake and tsunami. At Pago Pago's KKHJ-FM and Apia's Radio
Polynesia [both radio heritage partners of ours] as well as Apia's
2AP, staff risked their lives to broadcast warnings and stay at their
posts in the face of extreme personal danger.

You can read our media release about their bravery at
www.radioheritage.net and if you're listening to Radio New Zealand
International's Mailbox program next week [www.rnzi.com] you'll hear
our latest documentary which looks deeper at the recent tsunami and
reflects on how lucky they were to survive - broadcasting in the
heart of the Pacific Ring of Fire - and how stretched are radio
resources in the region.

     Our most popular content is now even easier to find.....look for
our colorful new icons for AFRS Armed Forces Radio Memories [30 plus
features]........ Long Lost Australian Radio Stars [35 entertaining
features]........ Pacific USA [almost 15 great features].......
Island Radio Pacific Style [over 15 exclusive features]....... the
growing Art of Radio series........ our well researched and
illustrated Radio Dial & Popular Culture features.....

     Some of the new stuff you'll enjoy includes.....Japan AM Radio
Dial 1941 [fascinating look at what Japanese listeners heard as WWII
approached]...... WASA Radio Antarctica [inside the diary and
personal photo album of the southernmost radio station manager in the
world].........2LM Lismore [the latest in the incredibly popular look
back at Australian heritage AM radio stations of the 1940's]......

As well, we've made the Radio Guides easier to use and will be adding
in the next day or two our exclusive list of almost 70 Australian AM
stations operating in the almost unknown 1611-1701 AM dial.....plus
our New Zealand Low Power FM Guide now details almost 430 FM stations
currently on the air and some 900 now silent operations.

Whether you're visiting www.radioheritage.net to look for the latest
station information, station histories, personalities, radio design
[such as car stickers and art work], early amateur broadcasters, how
radio and popular culture have connected across the Pacific, or some
good media books.....I'm sure you'll enjoy what you find, and, it's
all free.........

    We've also got some special thank you offers for donations
towards our radio heritage activities. In the year ended March 31
2009 our total income was just US$6300 and our operating costs were
significantly higher, so we genuinely welcome your financial support
right now.

........for every donation of US$10, we'll mail you 10 colorful Art
of Radio Japan postcards...... and for every donation of US$50
we'll mail you a copy of 'Voices in the Air' the classic and well
illustrated story of New Zealand's radio history .......

    Check out some of our favorite websites: www.musicofyourlife.com
features streaming of easy listening standards of the 1950's
[including big band, swing, jazz and stars such as Sinatra] from Las
Vegas.....Thom Whetston is doing a great service for AFRTS fans at
www.afrtsarchive.blogspot.com [with some wonderful audio from greats
such as Charlie Tuna] and our good friends at www.radioinfo.com.au
cover the latest in Australian radio news, jobs and exclusive
interviews......

Behind the scenes, there's a lot going on here too, with initial
testing finally underway of our new interactive database....where
you'll be able to upload and share your favorite radio station audio,
YouTube clips, photos, scans of radio station memorabilia, articles,
features and much more....you can publish your own stories, oral
histories, research projects and much more with us as well....so this
will explode the website content!

   So, whether it's spring or fall where you are, share some good
news with friends, enjoy life and make some time to come over to
www.radioheritage.net and start connecting popular culture, nostalgia
and radio heritage across the Pacific with us and thousands of
visitors like yourself.

Our thanks to our partners Apex Rental Cars [rental car], 2day.com
[website hosting], Procopy [printing] and PCWIZ2U [PC maintenance]
and to you all for your support, emails of encouragement,
contributions of memorabilia, and donations of funds towards our
operating costs.

Radio Heritage Foundation is a registered non-profit organization
connecting popular culture, nostalgia and radio heritage across the
Pacific. Our global website is www.radioheritage.net for fresh news,
features, images, audio and much more.

Share us via over 50 popular social networking and information
sharing websites, email any page or Twitter us to your friends and
colleagues and let others know what we're doing to protect and
preserve our radio broadcasting heritage.