Re: [IRCA] TP Victoria for 20Sep09: Average

Re: [IRCA] TP Victoria for 20Sep09: Average

> Despite Colin's luck, my read is that things weren't a whole lot better than yesterday.

I think I need to have an open house up here on the Rock.

Where the other local boys can experience the magic of
this location.

My location is the highest point in greater Victoria -
to top that, I am 7 stories up on a 16 floor concrete
and steel behemoth - there are no power lines for hundreds
of meters and the steel in my building shields me from most
forms of QRN.

I have about 240 degrees of Ocean view looking North towards Vancouver.
Under the right conditions I can see the lights on grouse mountain in
Vancouver. Mount Ranier is visible to South west under clear conditions.
Mt. Baker is almost always visible. I can see the lights of Port Angeles
and other communities.

There is some aspect of the geography and (perhaps) geology that makes
this location a low and mid-band sweet spot -- incl. longwave.

Above 1200 khz, even on very, very good mornings for the other guys,
it is hum-drum here. Surprisingly 1566 and 1575 have been more audible for
me the last 2 seasons than every before - and that might be psychological.

Every season, and location, offers some buzz that was (or is) different
than the one before - which makes this hobby so much fun.

What the future holds, we don't know -
What we do know if that this season is shaping up just fine.

--
Colin Newell - Editor - CoffeeCrew DOT Com ---
Victoria, British Columbia - Blog - Coffee DOT BC DOT CA