Re: [IRCA] TPs from Orcas Island: Sept 1 09 A Victoria perspective

At 09:32 AM 9/1/2009, you wrote:
>There was a decent rebound today here. Not too much at all until just before 1300, a half hour before LSR.  It was decent with, for me, quite a bit of DU action, until exactly 1330 when LSR turned off the band.  I had DUs at Language Recognition level or better on 612, 702, 828, 846, 891 and 1512. The biggest Guns from East Asia were in, too. It was mostly a low band event with almost half of the lower band channels with at least threshold audio and only ten above 1098. Something was putting in threshold audio beneath the OC from the Marshalls on 1098.
>
>Enough of a DU morning that I'm going to get my DU Super Loop back in the mix today, but I suspect the story of the horse and the barn door may be on my mind tomorrow AM.
>
>John Bryant
>Orcas Island, WA, USA
>Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
>Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops

After a very busy week of deliveries (up 5/7 of the last nights), I slept in this morning, but not before setting up the Perseus SDR and my S directing corner fed loop.  I was less than impressed by the results, ...until I came to 828 at 13:05 or so with REALLY strong ABC Gippsland with a talk program about medical technology.  At the same time, 612 was only barely there (unlike last year when it was always the strongest DU station heard here just about daily) and 702 was at that just audible and identifiable as English.  Same for 846.  891 is a never possible here due to Village 900.  1512 is there at fair level when checked at 13:18 on the Perseus wav file.  Actually fairly good.  I hear a fair amount of domestic splatter, but that may be due to my antenna direction being too close to WA/OR/CA.  Other frequencies worth watching:  1341 with a big het from 1340 (or vice-versa!), same for 1359, weak audio on 1287, pres JJ.  Other weak audios on 1278, 1269, 1161, 1143, 1134, 1!
 098 (OC)--I have heard weak audio last year under the OC, 1035, 981, 972, 963 (good audio at 13:20! presumably Southern Star..absolutely not the CRI RR service! Although there is something there weakly cochannel!), 954, 936 (weak EZL music at 13:22 and fair talk earlier at 13:19, presumably 4PB Brisbane), 927, 855, 828 (still booming in at 13:29), 819 (fair audio under intense 820 splatter) at 13:30 with prob RNZ, 801, 792 (good audio at 13:31) 4RN Brisbane, 783 (Access Radio, NZ ? at fair strength at 13:30 and building to good level suddenly after 13:31 with modern pop music and brief audio bridges in non-English, 756 (fair to good at 13:29 prob RNZ National, but ABC can't be ruled out either...yes it can, see // 675), 738 (RFO) perhaps not quite as strong as other mornings, 702, 675 (fair pres RNZ National at 13:28...yes, // to much stronger 756), 639 (as usual strong carrier, but lousy audio!), 603 (another strong carrier, but barely there audio at 13:28).  My setup here!
  has problems with local noise below about 620 on the south loop.  I c
an see lots of peaks down there, but my ALA 100 aimed to the south-west does better on these low frequencies (and LW too).

Overall impression from Victoria:  A very nice DU rise in signals post LSR, not showing any diminishment by 13:30 (my wav files finish at 13:32).  Not much activity from Asia, although this is not surprising with the S aimed corner loop.  What fun it is to cruise the band with the Perseus SDR wav files as well.  Miss the ID, no problem, simply rewind the wav file and listen again!  Check for //...no problem either.  A load of fun for sure!  Perhaps I'll be able to get up early enough tomorrow to listen live....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC