Re: [IRCA] Taking a Double Dip DX Plunge

An just how much was that check you sent? I'll get one at some point, but I'm keeping tabs on the price for now. Jim Renfrew

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:13 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Taking a Double Dip DX Plunge

At 08:58 PM 7/28/2009, you wrote:
I put a check in the mail today to Universal for the Microtelecom Perseus SDR receiver. I still need to choose a portable computer, among the ideas listed on Five Below, plus additional storage ... and a number of different antenna configurations. Any experimentation I do will be of the haphazard variety! My antenna during the glory days of DX 1964-66 consisted of half a TV antenna lead-in to one terminal and a wire under the eaves of my garage apartment to another terminal on my old HQ-160. Had (and may still have, if they haven't deteriorated) tapes of Algiers QRM'ing Colombia on 890, Argentina QRM'ing Australia on 950, Japan QRM'ing Jamaica on 750, etc., with that configuration while DX'ing in Pampa, Texas.

I also hold in my hand a Grundig G8. Does this really qualify as a ULR?

I'll have to keep separate logs!

Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon (Krum TX)

Congratulations, John. I know you WON'T be disappointed. The Perseus SDR is, to me, the best thing to come along since sliced bread! ....Walt