Re: [IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

Re: [IRCA] 9 Foot Longwave Box Loop (and other projects)

D1028Gary@xxxxxxx wrote:
The design was a basic one-loop coil system in a traditional box loop (non-spiral) design, wound on a PVC support frame, tuned by a 4-400 pf capacitor connected directly at the coil ends.

Is that a split-stator of a single-section cap?

The coil windings are spaced by slots cut in short sections of PVC pipe, which are offset from the main PVC frame by 90 degree PVC "elbow" fittings. The spacing slots are separated by .25", and are all symmetrically cut into the PVC by a circular saw with multiple wooden spacers of identical .25" width. The 19 coil windings (of #18 wire) are then pulled tightly to ensure optimal loop symmetry, in a system which apparently provides excellent nulling capability. The 490 feet loop coil of #18 stranded wire tunes from 167 kHz to 444 kHz in the current setup, but I plan to add a few more turns to drop the coverage down to 150 kHz. Photos of the loop and support structure are available upon request.

I'd love to see anything you might have, but can wait for your article too.I know you must be busy.

The split-stator cap and center-tapped loop primary winding improves loop symmetry and balance.

As to the spreading of the windings, the spreaders that splay every other turn up and down in two (maybe more) sections help a lot in increasing the range of tuning. Let me know if photos of that might help exp[lain what it looks like. I used wide tongue depressors, but small round PVC pipe sections would probably work better in that big loop.

Rick Kunath