[IRCA] Strange image

This evening near LSS, on the Drake R8, I was getting a weak image on
500 kHz from an UNID Seattle station. In checking I found it was
KJR-950!  Now KJR is strong here off the NE EWE, but only S9+20 DB at
the time. The image was not moving the S Meter, but it was totally
audible on peaks.  Another funny thing was the image was fading to non
existant up to audible and yet KJR 950 wasn't! I only noted this on the
NE EWE. In checking a couple hours later, no such image was found on 500
kHz. I don't even get images from my locals, but I did log an image on
522 kHz some years back from the ABC TX site at Sydney, NSW with
576/630/702 kHz. I even QSL'd it. The OM wrote me back stating they knew
about the image the transmitter QTH was putting out as it was also
logged in New Zealand. I know Drake is famous for a low noise floor, but
it would be interesting to know how much power these images were putting
out.  I will check to see if the KJR image is back tomorrow.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager