Re: [IRCA] KOMO 1000 not 24h

When I was in high school in the mid-late 60's, KOMO signed off at midnight every night. Unfortunately, they followed the s/off announcement with a 1000 Hz test tone until 5 am sign-on. From what I understand, KOMO was a regional skywave station for the Emergency Broadcast System, so they had to stay on the air all night even though they didn't run any actual programming. The test tone certainly gets my vote for the most boring all-night program of all time <g>. Eventually, KOMO hired someone for the midnight-5 am shift Tue-Sun AM. The Monday morning silent periods continued until some time in the 1980s, as I recall

Bruce

Mike Sanburn wrote:
One of my favorite Monday morning sign offs to listen to when I was a kid was KOMO 1000...Unfortunately I never managed to log WCFL or WMVP here in Southern CA  (YET!)--Mike Sanburn