Re: [IRCA] Wi-Fi legality (OT)

On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Patrick Martin wrote:

 Can the person tell if someone is using their
open wifi?

Yes.

Can they tell who the person is? I don't see how they can.

A hacker , the guy you are piggybacking on or someone out wardriving can tell your email address if you use it and get your home address and as soon as you access anything they know what kind of computer you are using, its speed, what kind of graphics, how much memory and if you use it to access a bank, credit card, private information, or financial instrument, the person on the other side can get all that information and passwords and then use your accounts.

If you want to do that, its up to you but they can tell who you are and what kind of machine you are using and which OS amongst a lot of other things when you connect. They can even rifle through your hard drive.

I have DSL and use max WPA encryption. It can be busted but its not so easy and piggybacking on someone you don't know or on a public system where anyone can decrypt your info is foolish. Its how a lot of people have their identity stolen. I used to be a cop and have seen it more than once.

Do what you want, its your life.

Kevin