[IRCA] Online campaign warns of ads on CBC Radio

[IRCA] Online campaign warns of ads on CBC Radio

Online campaign warns of ads on CBC Radio

THE CANADIAN PRESS

CBC's board of directors met Monday to discuss strategies for the economic downturn as a watchdog group warned against putting ads on CBC Radio - a possibility that the public broadcaster raised last month.

CBC spokesman Marco Dube would not speculate on the nature of the closed-door meeting, expected to continue Tuesday, saying only that a difficult economic climate will force it "to make difficult choices that will affect our people and our programs."

Ian Morrison, spokesman for Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, predicted deep cuts to staff and programming, but also said that the broadcaster has been eyeing the ad revenue potential of CBC Radio.

full article:
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/603136

I believe CBC Radio was commercial at one time. I seem to recall hearing ads on CBL-740 in the early 70s.

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON