Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-600 LW-MW-SW Portable

Re: [IRCA] Tecsun PL-600 LW-MW-SW Portable

Hi Gary:

Thanks for the review!  You're willingness to get and try out new
receivers is a great benefit to us all.  I have three hopefully easy
questions.

1.  A question on the SSB: how stable is the BFO after warmup?  In other
words, would using this in ECSS be an annoying warble-fest as the
zero-beat is slowly lost, or does it settle down to allow good ECSS
listening?  The Sony 7600GR (mine, anyway) stabilizes after about 15
minutes, allowing the selection of either sideband, a great DX asset, but
I have heard from several others whose 7600GR simply won't stabilize.
You're right about the limited BFO range of the 7600GR - mine has a range
of +2.2 khz and -1.8 khz, meaning that you can go either 2 khz down or 1
khz up and still get a zero beat, a sort of "poor man's passband tuning".
If the PL-600 is plus/minus 2.5 khz, you could detune 2 khz in either
direction.

2.  Does the SSB allow the use of the Wide bandwidth?  On the Sony 7600GR,
shifting to SSB restricts you to only the narrow bandwidth.

3.  If the answer to #2 was yes, does the Wide bandwidth cause
"fluttering" in ECSS on AM signals?  On many sets, if the filter bandwidth
is too wide, the opposite sideband starts to leak through, and the ECSS
signal starts to flutter.  It would be nice to have a set that allows
higher-fidelity single-sideband reception, sort of a poor-man's emulation
of the Drake R-8B's Selectable Synch mode with its 6 khz filter.  If the
PL-600 does flutter in Wide bandwidth, can you detune a couple khz,
re-zero beat it, and get rid of the flutter, since you are 2 khz further
away from the offending sideband?

Thanks for any info!

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA