Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:34:26 +0000
From: "Chernos Saul" <sauldx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] The cost of IBOC
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, am@xxxxxxxxxxx, amdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
	amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the answers received.

I was thinking of AM. I couldn't help thinking, as I passed by WBZ on
the
dial last night and noted it and adjacent channels getting hammered by
noise, that IBOC has cost these stations up-front costs, ongoing energy
costs, and of course any impact from loss of signal quality (while
signals
of some stations are no doubt eroded within primary contours, I am not
sure
if advertisers really know, and if this has yet translated into lost ad
revenue).

So as I passed by WBZ I thought of the cuts their to local content, and
pondered over the relative wisdom of decisions made there. I was
wondering
if the cost of IBOC electricity (and any other ongoing IBOC-related
costs)
might equal one host. Maybe? Maybe not? I know there would be variations

between a large market versus a smaller one, and a big-name local host
versus a small one.

Saul