Re: [IRCA] 1134 heard on eton E100

Hi Kaz & Walt,

     Congratulations, Kaz, on receiving Croatia-1134 on  a barefoot SRF-59--
truly an accomplishment in patience and determination (and  qualifying for a
nice First Ultralight TA award from John Bryant and Rob Ross,  should you feel
so inclined).

     Unfortunately, the SRF-59 (and SRF-39FP) has a  bizarre IF that is not
amenable to any filter upgrades that we are aware of,  including the Murata
CFJ455K5.  The IF is around 50 kHz, and in processed  inside Sony's proprietary
CXN1129 IC chip.  I have personally transplanted  many large loopsticks into
these analog radios, which manage to boost  sensitivity, but also degrade
selectivity.  For this reason, they are not  really suitable for DXpedition work,
like the 455 kHz IF E100's (which can be  boosted greatly in both sensitivity
and selectivity).

     73,  Gary DeBock

In a message dated 1/24/2009 7:45:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
salmaniw@xxxxxxx writes:

At 07:31  PM 1/24/2009, you wrote:
>Barely able to catch some audio again from  them on the SRF-59. Is it
possible to add a murata filter to those minis  ?  73 KAZ

Don't know.  It is a very simple receiver, so  one should think it's
possible.  Gary, John, Guy?.....Walt.
PS:   I did pick up a talking house on 1650 about 8 months ago on the
SRF-59....about a mile away from my  place.

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its
editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org