[IRCA] 590 Radio Nacional Costa Rica received on E100 Slider!

[IRCA] 590 Radio Nacional Costa Rica received on E100 Slider!

While doing a bit of early morning DX with the T615, I was looking for Nebraska on 590 at 1200 UTC. There was a Spanish speaker dominant on the frequency which I initially presumed was a as yet ULR unlogged Rebelde, but a quick check of 5,025 kHz indicated this was not parallel. Due to the slop from local WREC on 600, I fired up the E100 Slider at 1204 just in time to hear a male presenter mention Radio Nacional, then a female mentioning San Jose, Tegucigalpa and Managua, then brief chatter between them into a vocal. The station was fading fast, and after the vocal I caught the male announcer mentioning buenos dias. Barely audible by 1214 and gone by 1216 leaving a mix of domestics and another Spanish speaker, likely Mexico.

I still haven't unpacked my WTRHs, so wasn't positive what this could be. I looked up 590 kHz on the AM-DX.com WestList, and 70 kW TIRN San Jose is listed. A Google search shows a few DXpedition logs from the late 90's listing this as Radio Nacional de Costa Rica. A quick check of GeoClock showed a 1158 UTC sunrise for San Jose, so right now this appears to be a classic case of transmitter sunrise enhancement.

--
Brandon Jordan - Memphis, TN, USA
Longwave * Mediumwave * Shortwave DXer since 1976