Re: [IRCA] early Alberta TA's: also in Victoria

Re: [IRCA] early Alberta TA's: also in Victoria

Guys,

I just cannot compete with your TA signals from North of the border.
They seem to like your QTH. I guess in reality, you have a pretty good
open shot for miles to the NE, which I don't have here. Those hills NE
of me which is the beginning of the Coast Range do a number on blocking
the signals. At least nowdays. Back in the early 80s, TA's were strong
and I could get them on the car radio, like Algeria 891. I haven't set
up a NE EWE as yet, but  thanks to Dennis Vroom who sent me pix of his
movable EWE antenna, that NE EWE may be possible here. It remains to be
seen, "if" a NE EWE will help. Right now I can phase the SW & NW EWE's
giving me a lobe to the NW/N/NE. The Alberta stations are dominant, to
the NE of me, but yet TA's are not common. In the past couple of years,
I have IDed exactly three TA's, Radio Farda-1575,  VOR-1215, and
Croatia-1134. I have had bits of audio from Virgin Radio 1215,
Moldova-999, VOR 1323, Germany 1269, and that is about it!  Norway 1314
used be be a regular visitor every Winter for a number of years. Back in
the early 90s, Sweden-1179 and Finland-963 were heard. That hill was
still there, but I did have 800 feet of wire running North. A road was
put in and the antenna went. I could put in a BOG to the North, but the
neighbor on the far side has the light dimmers and I don't want that
radiating back. But I keep trying.....

73,

Patrick