Re: [IRCA] Announcing the 950 DX Challenge

On Sunday 07 December 2008 21:29, Chernos Saul wrote:
> Niel Wolfish in Toronto has been trying to pin down a station on
> 950 he has heard just prior to 0600 EST every morning where a woman
> sings the SSB starting around 0558 EST and then the station fades
> into the mud by the time an ID might happen. I thought I heard a
> wee bit of this here at Burnt River ON this morning. Saturday
> morning it was solid WWJ MI and WIBX NY so I am tentatively ruling
> them out. This morning I had WROC NY separately (with ESPN) and am
> tentatively ruling them out. Possible candidates include stations
> in OH (Niel deems this most likely) and WV. But who knows...
>
> And that's the basis of this little DX game. For those of you who
> like a good mystery, or have reliable 950s to listen to, why not
> sit on the channel from 0555-0601 EST, log what you can, and report
> it. Who knows. Barry McLarnon in Ottawa did this a week or so ago
> and logged a new station - one in MN, nice and far away! Funny
> enough, this one doesn't appear to be our candidate, either.

Tried recording on 950 last night, and once again, no sign of any SSB
leading up to TOH at 0600.  Stations heard, along with pesty WIBX,
included WWJ, WROC, WROL, and WVTS.  I agree that daytimer WDIG in ON
is the most likely suspect for Niel's unid.  They send most of their
signal to the south, but they have a teeny backlobe to the NNE... I'm
off to the side of it, but it looks like the Toronto area would get a
bit more signal than I would... and less of WIBX!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON