Re: [IRCA] FARDA, ctd.

Hi Pete,

At this time of year, the sunset terminator at Grayland is roughly at
330-340 / 150-160 degrees, based on my
quick check of Geoclock. However, the Wellbrook Phased Array is very broad
lobed in the forward direction (with a
good null on the back side). Signal pickup at 90 degrees to the axis is
greatly reduced, too.

This broad lobe is the reason I can successfully use it for Asian TP DX at
the campsite; if the antenna was aimed
any further to the North it could pick up RFI noises from the computers,
monitors, etc. at my DXing position in the
yurt. That happened on my previous visit to site #Y114 at Grayland, and I
ended up moving the antenna the next
night so it aimed at about 300 degrees.

A proper Beverage antenna (not always that achievable at Grayland) would be
narrower, and at 300 degrees might
miss out on the R. Farda signal as it travelled along the grayline of
330-340 degrees.

Going from memory of the antenna plots I've seen, the Wellbrook Phased
Array has a lobe of approx. 60 degrees
(depending on take-off angle and other variables). So it easily covers a
large swath of the horizon, including the
Farda signal coming from the North-Northwest.

It would be great to know the exact angle Farda was taking as it was
received on the coast. Perhaps there was some
skewing going on, but my understanding about true grayline reception is
that signals follow the terminator closely,
from transmitter to receiver.

73,

Guy