[IRCA] TPs on Orcs Isl.: Best Yet

I cannot remember conditions this good. I'll have to go back through my records to see if I've ever heard so many channels in audio.

Below 1458, the only non-zero ending channels without at least definite threshold audio were: 684, 729, 1125, 1161, 1233, 1341 and 1431. It was really incredible. I'd expect that this were not much better at Grayland.... maybe a few of the threshold signals would have been at elevated levels, I guess.

I started DXing at 1230 and turned things off at 1505. Things were very DXable when I turned on at 1230, with the bottom half of the dial already full of audio.... literally. The top half was comparatively empty, with audio on only half of the channels. Dawn brough a lot more on the top half and changed the ID of some on the bottom half.

There was much of interest, of course, but very little was really new.... they were just all in at once!

The morning started in at 1230 with NHK1 Morioka on 531 (usually at mumble level) being the loudest that I have ever heard it except when I stayed for several days in Morioka in the late 70s :>). It was either an 8 or a 9. Late, I was expecting the CNR1 Synchros on 540, but it was a very weak NHK1 Synchros, instead. 549 was Mayak again, in parallel with 576, but at least late, 648 was running Rossii//189 and not // to the 576//549. Kinda surprising.

Most of the morning, 666 and 675 were a total mess with other stations running equal to the usual Osaka and Vietnam. 765 was up nicely with North Korea, //2850. 810 had Russian on it at one point and Chinese at another, but both were too briefly on top to do anything with. Probably the star of the morning was 945 at 1300 with what just has to be the three Chutian Satellite BS stations walking all over the 400 kW CNR1. I got a good recording, but the terrible echoes from all three may inhibit identification. I sure hope not. 1017 was louder that I've ever heard it, nearing dawn at 1437. For the first time all year, I finally heard JOWL on 1197, the Hokkaido repeater of JOWF, 1440, that was also in. In past years, JOWL has been a regular visitor here, even when 1440 wasn't punching through, but this year there was no sign of it here until this AM. 1386 was both the NHK2 synchros and presumed Tianjin, China and what I believe was Nei Mengghu was in all morning on 1458. I could of IDed it (the level was good enough) but other things kept getting in the way (an argument for Perseus, again.)

I'm glad that apparently everyone else had a great morning too and Colin timed his urban DXpedition to Walt's antenna farm with great precision.... can't wait to hear your logs, Colin!

I added a dozen East Asians to my Orcas Ultralight log, though I think that all of them were heard previously at Grayland.

Lets keep this going!!!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________