[IRCA] Two Wonderful MW QSLs Received

I enjoy setting interim goals for myself in DXing... beyond Country and Station totals. One of these, for me, is trying to hear and then QSL as many NHK1 and NHK2 "pairs" from Japan as I can. Almost every mega-city in Japan has both an NHK 2 and NHK 2 station, and some of the pairs are among the easiest of the Japanese Big Guns to hear from the Pacific Northwest. For instance, everyone out here has heard the Tokyo pair, JOAK, NHK1, 594 and JOAB, NHK2, 693. Another easy one is Sapporo, the northern-most mega-city, with JOIK, NHK1 on 567 and JOIB, NHK2 on 747 kHz. Another of the relatively easy NHK1 is JOQG, NHK1 on 531 in Morioka. Unfortunately, the Morioka NHK2 is one of those infamous NHK2 Synchros, this time on 1386. On that frequency, there are three NHK2 regionals at 10 kW and one at 5 kW. Morioka is the closest to us, located in northern Honshu. In September, I finally heard their local ID at 1320, the only time that they identify locally that we have a chance to hear in North America. The ID was garbled, because there were one or two others audible simultaneously. However, "Morioka" seemed to over-ride the others to my ears and those of my Japanese colleague. I sent off a report with a recording and just received a very nice letter and two QSL cards today from Shoichi Nochi of the Engineering section of JOQC, NHK2 Morioka! Very nice!!!

Possibly even more welcome was a large, fat manilla envelope from Emerald, Queensland that came while I was gone to Grayland. The package was from Patty Schwarz, General Manager of 4HI in Emerald. I had stumbled across their signal on 1143 in late in one of the last good openings of the DU season on my August trip to Grayland. Ms. Schwarz enclosed two stickers and a marvelous XL orange and black 'Stralian Rules football jersey with a 4HI logo and "Miners Overnnight" on it.... Miners Overnight was the program that I caught.

Ms. Schwarz said that Emerald is a town of about 15,000 in inland Queensland and is currently growing quite a bit due to a boom in coal mining. She found my reception "quite unreal, actually" but said that they had listened to the recording and "it was very muffled but did sound exactly like us, so congratulations...." They are one of the few inland Australian commercial stations (generally limited to 5kW.) that I've heard, so I'm really pleased. I'll be modeling the 4HI football jersey at the next IRCA convention that I get to attend.

I hate writing reception reports, but getting QSLs like these keeps me at it.... Christmas in October!!!

John B.