[IRCA] KALISPELL & BANFF DX

My wife and I returned today from a few days up north. The bare ICF-2010 came along with us. We flew from SeaTac to Spokane and drove the rest. Observations:

KALISPELL
1. KOFI has two lovely large identically-sized towers in the southern part of town. I am only surprised that they are not closer to Flathead Lake. 2. KERR-750 does not cover Kalispell at night. We drove down to Polson but I never did see the KERR towers. 3. On 9/12, KATQ-1070, with HSFB, was doing a number on KNX around 9pm MDT.

BANFF
1. No AM locals. CFFR-660 and CHQR-770 provided the best AM signals. However, CHQR was consistently better coming up US-95 to Sandpoint and Bonner's Ferry and MT-2 thereafter. 2. Vancouver area stations on 730, 1040, 1130, 1320 and 1470 were listenable at night. CISL was barely there and CBU was poor. KIRO and KOMO were both good. KKMO-1360 was dominant most of the time. KVI was fair. 3. I can't find my notes but I believe it was the night of 9/12 when a (presumed) Cuban wobbler was heard on 590 at a very good level. I don't recall it being reported on this frequency before. There was also some sort of injected noise on 1080 and 1180 but it was dissimilar to what was on 590. 4. KOA for some reason was poor. There was always a second station under it (presumably, and surprisingly, KHHO).

We had XM in the rental car. Between that and the declining number of Canadian AM stations, I didn't spend a lot of time DXing while driving. Meanwhile, Glacier, Banff, the Ice Fields and Lake Louise were all absolutely awesome. Thank you to the DXers who provided input. On a related note, don't hold your breath waiting for accurate radio station info on signage as you come in to town. The CBC FF FM station in Banff was not on as posted; also, somewhere down AB-93, highway signage for a CFIW-1200 was noted. Also, the only AM TIS I noted was at the entrance to Glacier on 1610. And finally, we are spoiled rotten: We had 75-85 degrees F and clear blue skies the whole time in Banff (40s at night), a far cry from our reception at SeaTac this morning (gray, cold, rainy).

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 + Kiwa air core loop