[IRCA] A GREAT morning in Masset for TPs 3Sept08

[IRCA] A GREAT morning in Masset for TPs 3Sept08

TP report for 3 Sep08 from Masset

Success!  A new radio country for me on MW and that’s Indonesia heard with a very nice ID for Radio Republik Indonesia at 14:00 on 999.  Made my morning!  If just listened to my Perseus file during this time,and truly, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel!  ID after ID across the band!  What a morning!  More on this later.  First my TA report from last night….in a nutshell, disappointing!  Precious few audios with the best being Iceland on LW on 189 at 8 level at 04:48.  The following were heard (het only unless comment made):

189:  Iceland at 8 at 04:48
531, 594, 639, 666, 684, 738, 747, 819, 837, 873, 891, 918, 936
954:  6 level
963
999:  6.5 level with COPE
1008, 1017, 1026, 1035, 1044, 1053, 1071, 1098, 1107, 1116
1125:  6 level
1134
1152:  6 level
1161, 1179, 1197, 1206
1215:  7.5 level with Virgin Radio cochannel with COPE
1224:  6 level COPE
1269, 1287, 1296, 1305, 1314, 1341, 1404, 1485, 1539
1566:  4 level at best tonight
1575:  6 level
1584

Overall, not very good.  A note on antenna usage.  For TA activity, I note that the Wellbrook array is not a good performer on any night.  Tonight, the ALA 100 70’ verical loop performed the best, followed by the NW BOG, then the N mini-Beverage, and finally the WB array.  This is different from the mornings, when the WB can give very good results.  This morning, I noted that the North mini-Beverage performed the best, whereas yesterday it was the NW BOG.  For the last several mornings, I’m starting to see the same pattern on the WB array that I experienced last September….that is, that at dawn, the WB becomes less sensitive and noisier than the traditional BOG/Beverages.

Now onto this morning’s TP report:

I monitored between 12:49 and 14:20 or so this morning, having slept in a bit.  Conditons didn’t seem very good initially with little heard on the LW with only 153 and 279 audible from Russia at 7.5 level only.  209 Mongolia was only a weakish het.  Not an auspicious start!

531 was solid JJ with no signs of the Australians as some other mornings!  Interesting that although it’s clearly an NHK1 station, it was not // to 594 at 12:51, but joined the network feed at 13:00.  Threw me for a while, but I guess this can happen.
549  This was Mayak at 13:06.

IBOC was particulary strong making 639, 657, 675, 684, 882 and 900 difficult!

North Korea continues to blast away on many frequencies, with perhaps 819 the best of the lot with 9+ strength!, parallel to 2850.

648:  I can confirm that it’s VOA in KK at 14:00 and not VoR KK as PAL lists.

882:  I’ve been watching this one, as I had reported N. Korea a few days back.  This morning, under IBOC, all I could hear was STV //1440 and 1 other.

963:  Normally totally dominated by CRI Russian, but this morning cochannel with another station at virtually equal levels.  I’m wondering about some of the other CC regional stations.  Will need help from the linguists on this one….as I type this, I’m listening to the Perseus file, and it’s full of voices, with CRI only one of several…most unusual!

999:  Of course my favourite catch of the day with a clear ID for Radio Republik Indonesia.  It’s not an easy channel owing to an off-frequency just below 999.  Still the ID was very clear.  Once again, PAL mentions that they were inactive…not the case!  4777, by the way, the listed // was not there.

As I had a planned trip in the morning with Haida Fisheries to Langara Is, I only quickly noted many strong mostly JJ stations above 1000 kHz….will have to wait until I can have a listen to them later!  Best  of DX from Masset!...............Walt Salmaniw