Re: [IRCA] Semi OT: Cutting Ferrite Bars?

Re: [IRCA] Semi OT: Cutting Ferrite Bars?

> In the work that Gary DeBock, Guy Atkins and I are doing with mods to
> the E100, I've run up against the need to reduce the length of the
> stock ferrite bar by half.
>
> Has anybody ever done this successfully??? Have you ever heard rumors
> of someone doing this successfully?  HOW????
>
> I seem to remember that Ferrite is actually a ceramic product. Is
> this true?  If so, I just happen to have a professional tile cutters
> say, water-cooled, with a diamond blade.  Ideas, comments? Prayers
> for the intrepid?

I had to split a ferrite toroid to go over a solid rod.  Used a thin
abrasive wheel (4"OD x .032") that did it nicely.  I do have a saw setup
normally used for jewelry work that made it easy.  Try an abrasive cutoff
wheel, dry, and take your time.  Support the rod by taping it to a piece of
wood.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI