[IRCA] Weird Morning: TPs from Orcas Island on

[IRCA] Weird Morning: TPs from Orcas Island on

I just got up for the heart of Dawn enhancement from 1215 to 1235 and things were passing strange. I first noticed snatches of audio on 774 and 828 and they were on the Asia wire, but sounded DU. They were barely 6s, so I really couldn't be sure of the language. Then I tuned to 891 and had an 8 in DU EE, but all the audio was on the Asia wire!!! It sounded like 5AN, with some sort of news or public affairs program, but I did not stay long enough to be certain (this was about 1223 or so). Things were pretty calm for about 5 minutes and then just at dawn, I had quite a burst of audio, all on the Asia wire and most of it DU:

Dawn or Later:
612 @7 DU EE Asia wire
621 @6 Orchestral Mx (maybe North Korea???) Asia wire
756 @6.5 Sounded DU on the Asia wire
891 @8 Where it sounded like 5AN ten minutes earlier, this was clearly 4TAB. Had a "Radio TAB" ID and then into a race call at 1230. All audio on the Asia wire.

1566 @7.5 Was a decent het earlier, but after dawn, it built to almost an 8, with a Christian hymn. Asia wire.

Sometimes it feels unfashionable to mention "bent path" on MW, but I KNOW that the DU loop is working as usual, so all I can think is that there is an unusual and fairly large bump out there in the Pacific ionosphere, somewhere!

Fascinating...

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest