[IRCA] KDLG & weather reports

Having worked in Alaska bush radio, specifically at KNOM 780 in Nome, although admittedly a long time ago in 1974-75, I'd like to comment on the issue of Alaska radio stations & weather reporting.

Weather in Alaska, especially of course in the long winter, is a life & death issue, & the radio stations play a vital role in reporting any potentially harmful weather. Those that live in tornado or hurricane prone areas I'm sure can relate to this.

When I was at KNOM, we would receive & broadcast a marine weather forecast from the National Weather Service that was updated every 12 hours.  I'm pretty sure they still do this.  I'm certain they still provide weather forecasts for the broadcasting coverage area every hour unless they're in special programming.  They certainly were when I last visited there in 1992.

KDLG conceivably could stream a weather message such as: "Gale warning for Cape Newhenham to Dall Point for tonight," which could potentially be life saving information for boats & ships in that region.

In November 1974, the Nome area was hit with a severe wind storm which damaged much of the town.  As this storm was building, the National Weather Service fed us a special alert that we (& KICY) broadcast warning people to get away from the shore & to higher ground.  Probably due to that alert no one was killed or, I believe, even seriously injured by this storm, even though there was considerable property damage.

I still have the headline & article from the Spokane, WA, newspaper that my mother sent me about this storm.  I also have a recording of the Mutual News hourly newscast that mentioned the storm.  KNOM was a Mutual affiliate in 1974.

On a related note, I can confirm that both KNOM & KICY 850 have transmitter sites separated from their studios & connected via STLs.

Their transmitter sites are 3 miles east of Nome & not far from the Bering Sea.  During the 1974 storm the road to the transmitter was flooded & our engineer was unable to get to the transmitter to check on it & the power generator.  The city power was knocked out but, luckily, the transmitter & generator kept working properly.

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA