Re: [IRCA] KDLG-670 now IBOC

Scott Fybush wrote:
As I understand it, it's a question of making use of existing resources and keeping the engineering as uncomplicated as possible under the difficult circumstances many of these stations face. Most of the bush AMs (I believe KBRW is a notable exception) operate studios and transmitters at a common site. No studio-transmitter links to go down, no remote transmitter sites to try to get to when something fails, no big networks of low-power repeaters that have to be maintained. Just a tower that's already built and paid for, right there on site. Remember, at a lot of these stations there is no resident engineer - if something breaks, someone has to be flown in at great expense. So there's a huge priority put on simplicity, and it's hard to get much simpler than a non-directional AM that's right there next to the studio.
There are a few others with separate studio and transmitter sites in the Alaskan bush. Both Nome stations (KNOM and KICY) I believe are that way, the latter in part for its DA to beam programs to Russia. KIYU Galena is another one - it was off the air several months last year after the STL tower at the studio collapsed (a dump truck backed into one of the guy wires or some such thing). KOTZ also has a remote tx site, per a verie from last year. The CE sent me a couple of jpg's of the station, and I'm now using the pic of the tx site as the wallpaper on my laptop.

Not only must the stations deal with remoteness, lack of technical help,and shipping challenges, but the weather is usually downright nasty during the winter. KAGV-1110, as I recall, was flooded about a month after it first hit the air, and had to remain silent until the owner (a missionary group) had the time and money to make the needed repairs.

Bruce