Re: [IRCA] KJR 950 Seattle HD

Patrick Martin wrote:
Eric,

It will be interesting to see if they can get away with it with no QRM
as there are several stations on Vashon. If they are co located with
KGNW, then it may get into their signal, let alone 1000 or 1090.

My understanding, as of a couple of years ago, was that neither KJR nor KOMO could easily go IBOC because of their proximity. But that was a couple of years ago, and we know that corporate dictates can sometimes trump sensible engineering on a local level.

KJR's diplex with KGNW is less of a problem. A good modern diplexing system (and KJR/KGNW have a very good, very modern one) produces VERY clean signals from both stations using it, often cleaner than they'd be without all the filtering involved in a diplex.

What's sometimes a bigger issue is bandwidth through a diplexing system - I don't know whether KJR (or KGNW) has wide enough bandwidth through the diplexer to handle IBOC well. But diplexing, per se, is not an obstacle to the use of IBOC. WCBS and WFAN do it. So (I think) do 1150 and 1020 in LA.