[IRCA] Grayland Day Two: Improving Conditions

[IRCA] Grayland Day Two: Improving Conditions

DU conditions rebounded here somewhat this morning. Unlike yesterday, there was a decent amount of recognition-level audio around when I drug myself out of the warm bed at 1045 UTC. By 1100, several of the Big Gun Japanese were HUGE, at 8+ (594 and 774, especially) with 828 and 747 trailing but still putting in recognizable audio. In the early going, JOHR-1287 Sapporo was showing quite good audio, as well. Those were the only JJs noted.

Early on, there were a decent number of DU audios, as well, with the Kiwis up first. !035 N-T ZB and the Southern Star pair, 657//963 leading the way. I followed 765 throughout the morning trying to determine whether it was 5CC, Port Lincoln or 2EC, Bega. There is an outside chance that it could be the Kiwi, 2XT, R. Kahungunu. I had this as an UNID last month down here. This time, there was no ID at BOH 1130 nor was there one at TOH 1200. ARGHHHHH!!! The program was sort of middling Rock music with the odd classic American or Brit 60s Classic Rock number thrown in. Any ideas?????

As the morning wore on toward 1220 dawn, the JJs faded away and the Aussie Usual Suspects came up fairly strong. Between 1200 and 1220, I had arm chair Level 8 copy on 612, 4QR Brisbane, 738 2NR Grafton, 774 3LO Melbourne, 783 Access Radio, Wellington, 792 4RN Brisbane, 891 5AN Adelaide (there has been no sign of 4TAB, Adelaide's co-channel these last two AMs)

From dawn at 1220, I invested a half hour in finding out that the Hawaiians were not doing as well as yesterday morning and logging exactly zero stations different from yesterday.

I was surprised that a goodly number of DUs were still in very well at 1240, a full half hour after dawn. 675, National Radio, Christchurch was heard well for the first time this trip. They always seem to appear "later than they should." 738 2NR Grafton continued to be the Star of the DXpedition, holding a solid 8+ until 1300, when it dropped like a stone. I also managed a very weak presumed 3NE Wangaratta on 1566 at 1258

Just as the band faded down at 1301, I caught DU EE on 918 which was almost certainly two National Radio New Zealand synchros. They were gone before I could check parallels.

I did manage to add 2 maybe 3 DUs to my growing Ultralight Unlimited Class list: 702 2BL, Sydney, 612, 4QR, Brisbane and also my UNID on 765.

Finally, I put the standard Grayland West BOG down yesterday as a WSW BOG and compared it several times to the SW Array. They were pretty close, but the Array was the winner the times that they weren't tied..... yes, I still have trouble believing that two little delta loops can beat the Beloved Grayland Bevs... or even stay with them, but there you are.

Two more mornings to come.... Here's hoping for continued improvement in conditions.

John B.
WinRadio 313e + Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Arrays, SW and NW
Grayland, WA, USA