[IRCA] Spooky MW tests from Oklahoma have started

[IRCA] Spooky MW tests from Oklahoma have started

** OKLAHOMA. Noted something this morning (16.6.08) you might want to check out. Sometime between 0800-0900 CDT [1300-1400 UT], I noticed a loud 2000 Hz wide test tone on 540 kHz. The S-meter on my G313e indicated S9+10db. It suddenly stopped allowing me to again hear the usual KWMT (S7) daytime tug of war with KDFT. Then at 10:03 a.m. CDT, it resumed at S9+20dB. At 10:25 CDT the test tone stopped and the carrier signal dropped to S9+10dB.

My guess is it must be located within a 60-mile [radius] from my location. A check of all the stations in the area find them operating at full power on their assigned frequencies. I find no indication of a new station at the FCC website. I hope it's an anomaly for the world doesn't need another station on 540 kHz, and especially NOT in Oklahoma!

If you tune to 540 kHz now (1055 CDT), you find a carrier signal blocking KWMT from being received. At this moment it's the strongest signal being received between 530 and 680 kHz (Best wishes, Richard Allen, S of Billings OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Thanks for a great tip. This is very likely the long-awaited testing of a hush-hush project by the OSU Multispectral Laboratories in Ponca City, from Chilocco (N of there at the KS border). There is a lot about in some issues of DXLD last year. Other possible frequencies: 830, 1680, 92.3, 99.1, 107.5. Shortwave and TV too. Call: WE2XFZ

See under OKLAHOMA:
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld7082.txt
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld7084.txt
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld7085.txt
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld7134.txt

Yes, I am getting the 540 carrier at 1611 UT check. Not `local` strength here, but certainly nothing ordinary. Loops 45/225 degrees or slightly less, which checks with Chilocco. Soon resumed continuous tone test, by 1635 until cut off abruptly just before 1707, without any ID on the hour or any announcements at all (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I was aware of OSU's transmitter at Chilocco (just west of US 177, across the river from Arkansas City) but didn't put it and the test signals together in my mind until now. It's a healthy S9+20 here at the moment. Its test signal is only 2 kHz wide so it isn't interfering with KFRM, yet. I hope it goes away as suddenly as it came.

I'll have to get my old Space Magnet in action and see what direction it is coming from. The G313e is connected to 21-meter wire running NE-SW which seems to favor stations to the northeast like KWMT-540 or WTDY-1670. I'm in the process of constructing an EWE or two for medium wave.

Oh well, I can forget it for the moment. They ceased transmission at 12:06 CDT (lunch break?) and KWMT is back over KDFT. From the amount of lightning static, it sounds like it might be a stormy afternoon (Richard Allen, ibid.)

Hi Kirk, Tnx to a tip from Richard Allen, the hush-hush OSU test from Chilocco I mentioned to you some time ago seems to be on the air now, 11:30 am CDT, carrier on 540, sometimes with tones. You might want to check this out, and other possible frequencies, 830, 1680, 92.3, 99.1, 107.5, not to mention some TV and SW as in several items about this last year in DXLD. 73, (Glenn to Kirk Allen, ibid.)

Hi Glenn, You happened to catch me with a little time to spare, so I checked out all the AM/FM frequencies you mentioned. (I'll read all the links you sent asap). At 1710 UT, I heard a very clear 1 kHz tone (or near that) on 540. Nothing on any of the other frequencies. I heard the "station" on an Eton E-100. Very loud clear signal here (Kirk Allen, Ponca City, June 16, ibid.)

Hi Kirk, Both Richard and I heard the tone test on 540 cut off at 1707 UT. If you were still hearing a tone after that, perhaps they cut back to much lower power. Still not back on as of 2015 UT. Nor anything on the other frequencies. But they could be back, tomorrow morning if not sooner. Please let me know if you hear anything further from this (Glenn to Kirk, via DXLD)

Glenn: With the use of the G313e receiver's spectrum analyzer, I found the unidentified station sending a 2 kHz wide test tone on 830 kHz at 1320 CDT [1820 UT] with S9+30db signal strength. It was the strongest signal in the entire AM band at that time. The transmitter powered down just before 1330 CDT due most likely to a thunderstorm moving through the Arkansas City area at the time. I did some quick direction finding my old YB400 and it appears to be on a NE-SW bearing. So you're probably correct about it being at Chilocco (Richard Allen, ibid.)

Richard, I checked all 3 frequencies on and off, but did not catch 830. By 2 kHz wide, do you mean a 1 kHz tone, as to its pitch? I think that`s what it was on 540, but didn`t try to measure it. Should be closer to NNE from your angle (Glenn to Richard, ibid.)

The tone extended to 1000 Hz (or 1 kHz) to either side of the frequency. It was possible to adjust the IF bandwidth under 2 kHz and not hear the tone. I'm not an expert on these things, just happy to figure out there isn't a new b/c station on 540 kHz.

The distance between here and the Chilocco transmitting aerial mounted on the old Indian school water tower is 45 miles with a bearing of 28°. That corresponds somewhat to my quick direction check with the YB400 (Richard Allen, OK, ibid.)

Will check that frequency as often as I'm able. I just now checked it and heard nada at 0110 UT June 17 (Kirk Allen, OK, ibid.)

Nothing further heard here either, tho I have not been able to check them all very often.

People at a distance may want to look for OCs or TTs on these frequencies at night. As in last year`s info, the same organization is also licensed to test experimentally from Flying H, SW of Roswell NM, different frequencies (Glenn Hauser, Enid, ibid.)