Re: [IRCA] iPhones and IBOC

Don,

I think a lot of people in the broadcasting industry are living in the
past in regard to broadcasting, the ay it used to be. I don't mean
techology and such, but radio in general.  It has always been here and
it will always be here. As we all know nothing last forever. The thought
has been "Lets put on a new station". It kind of reminds me of the old
musicals of the 30s and 40s. They were always going to put on the show
to solve life's problems, no matter what they were. Tens of thousands of
people have their work in broadcasting and anyone is going to do
anything they can to keep their industry going, no matter what is
looming in the future. As a CE told me when I asked if the company was
going to put on the X Band CP. He said, of course as who doesn't want a
new station. He said it like automaticaly millions of people will be so
excited of a new station that they could not wait to have it sign on the
air. In realiy, probably 99% of the people in that large market did not
even realize the station came on and existed. Many see IBOC as "HD" and
if HD is great for TV, then lets get on the bandwagon and make it great
for radio. Many don't see things the rest of us see unfortunately. Add
"hype" to the mix and it is new toy that will bring millions into the
broadcasting industry, if not more.  I know of many CEs that knows the
score that IBOC in flawed.  But again they have to do what their boss
says. If you could pull 100% of the CEs away and get them to answer
honestly, probably 98 or 99 perent would say IBOC is flawed, especially
on AM. But the only thing it comes down to is M O N E Y. If IBOC doesn't
sell in time, it will be history. But as others have said, it will take
time. NPR seem to be really "pro IBOC". We have more of that in NW on AM
than about anything else. Many NPR AMers are now IBOC.
73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager