[IRCA] Best DU Morning Ever Here on Orcas Island

[IRCA] Best DU Morning Ever Here on Orcas Island

At this inland island location (in the water between Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island and Vancouver city on the Mainland) DU audio has been very hard to come by.... there is probably 30 miles or more of mostly islands and the Olympic mountain range between me and the Pacific on an azimuth to DU. However, I was up early this AM and decided to give it a try.

From 1150 tune-in until 1201, all I had was hets and all of them being the usual suspects 1116 and below, except for healthy hets on 1566 and 1575 on the Asian wire.

At 1201, I noted ABC News at a 7 on 612, 4QR Brisbane. It was the most consistent performer, in audio for most of the next half hour (until more than 10 minutes past dawn.) The peak seemed to be from 1205 until 1215. Here are my notes on the audio:

531 Brief Threshold DU
567 Brief Threshold DU (prob. Nat. Radio, Wellington)
576 Was 2RN Sydney "ABC NEWS" never really an 8
612 4QR Brisbane was clearly // 702 //774
639 Kept wanting to be audio. Heard Polynesian Choir briefly. R. Fiji 1 likely 1206
675 Brief audio, likely NRadio, Christchurch
702 2BL Sydney //612 and 774 at 1213 UTC
738 Wanted to be audio for quite a while. Heard briefly in what sounded DU EE. Prob. 2NR Grafton 747 maybe //774 part of the time, I'd swear that these were // and JJ... were better on the NW wire, but not by much 774 3LO Melbourne //612 and 702 at 1213. 3LO seems to be doing better this year. Equip. upgrade?

684 had an interesting almost audio late, most likely candidate would be Fiji One

I was surprised at how low band the audio was and also that 891 never grew to more than a mediocre het.

Things must have been pretty wonderful at the coast.

In any case, it was a great way to wake up on a Sunday AM.

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest