[IRCA] Aussie-531 Audio Heard on SRF-T615 Ultralight at Grayland

[IRCA] Aussie-531 Audio Heard on SRF-T615 Ultralight at Grayland

Hello All,

     Thanks very much for the DU tips from Bruce, Nick  and Dennis, prior to
my one-night visit to Grayland.  I wrote each  frequency down, and gave
serious attention to each one (531, 612, 1116, and 702)  this morning.

     The conditions seemed pretty mediocre until around  1100 UTC, when the
JA powerhouses suddenly started coming up in signal strength,  allowing
reception on the stock SRF-T615 of JOAK-594, JOAB-693, JOIB-747,  JOUB-774 and
JOBB-828.  Shortly after 1200, HLCA-972 audio came in on the  modified ICF-2010
spotting receiver (with the 19.5" loopstick), and was  also heard weakly on the
SRF-T615.  HLAZ-1566 soon followed for  the 7th SRF-T615 TP, and it was starting
to look like the trip wasn't  going to be wasted after all... but the best
was yet to come.

    Around 1245 the VOA-1575 Thailand station was heard on  both a stock 2010
(good signal) and the SRF-T615 (weak signal).  I was  amazed that the tiny
SRF-T615 was able to receive Thailand, just as Dennis had  done with the
SRF-39FP last week.  But I think Dennis was in the Cottage,  and I was in Room 10 of
the Motel... so he still covered more miles   :>)

     The DU's were still only weak carriers on the  stock 2010 at 1300 (in
growing daylight), and I thought the fun was over.   As a final attempt, I
decided to check the recommended DU frequencies on the  "Monster 2010" (with the
19.5" antenna), and was amazed to find weak audio on  531(instrumental music),
the first time I had ever heard audio from a DU.   The weak 531 audio became
stronger and stronger on the modified 2010, until at  1308, the music was
clearly (but weakly) heard on the stock SRF-T615.   Elated but hoping for more, I
checked 612, which also had weak audio on the  "Monster 2010," but it faded out
quickly because of the growing daylight, and  there were no more DU's heard.

     Thanks very much to Bruce for the 531 tip, which  certainly produced the
highlight of the morning.  Now, I'm just hoping  that Bruce (or somebody) can
tell me which Aussie station I heard on 531  (the WRTH isn't so clear, hi).

    73,  Gary

listings at AOL Autos.