Re: [IRCA] Talking house on 1650

At 07:34 PM 4/9/2008, you wrote:
>I heard one of them in my area probably 5 years ago. My curiosity got the
>best of me as I hopped in the car and practiced some basic direction finding
>skills. Turns out the transmitter was almost 2 miles away.
>
>Nice catch.
>
>73 de Joe

Hi, Joe.  I may do the same thing.  I found a listing for the agent (Joan Solberg) about 1 to 2 miles from here, so I might ride over and investigate.  Right now, a SS station is dominating, presumably KBJD in Denver.  Earlier, I could clearly hear a Korean, probably KFOX in Torrance, CA so lots to hear!  Here's a neat story for the group.  One session at Grayland, I was parked on 1610 and ran across a very weak station, which after listening for a while revealed itself to be a talking house.  Well, I drove around and found it a mile or two away inside a vacant mobile home.  The fellas encouraged me to contact the realtor for a QSL, but alas, I never did.
While I was monitoring the frequency, the realtor called back.  We had a pleasant conversation for about 10 minutes.  She was fascinated by my call.  She referred me to the website:  http://www.talkinghouse.com/newweb/  .  Apparently she purchased 5 of them from the US for about $250 each.  Looks like a VCR with any channel between 1530 and 1700 being available.  The antenna consists of a wire a few feet long that you wrap around the rafters in the garage (the preferred location).  She and her son work as a team, so that one tunes the transmitter while the other listens from a vehicle on the street for the best frequency.  I encouraged her to try either 530 or 1700 as better choices.  I also talked to her about our hobby, and that I'd let people all over Canada and the US know about our conversation.  She seemed genuinely interested (or if not, very polite!).  I didn't get around to asking for a verification, though!  She did confirm that the transmitter is located at Green !
 Acres Ave, which is closer to Nick Hall-Patches, and especially Colin Newell's home.  What fun!

........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria