From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scott Fybush
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 4:25 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Call letter change

David Faulkner wrote:
> I think KSD in St. Louis lost its three-letter calls when the radio and TV
> operations were sold to two different companies and the TV station wanted
> the calls.  What is now KTRS operated as KSDK for awhile, I think.

Other way around - KSD radio kept the 3-letter calls when radio and TV
split. TV became KSDK, and still has those calls. What's now KTRS was
KUSA for a few years under Gannett. The KSD calls survive on FM 93.7,
now owned by Clear Channel.

As for cities with multiple 3-letter calls, I think Seattle may actually
have been the champion: KVI, KXA, KJR, KTW, KOL, plus KMO in Tacoma, not
to mention KGY down in Olympia. KVI, KJR and KGY survive, and there's
KKOL and KKMO. (What was KXA is now KTTH; KTW is now KKDZ.)

The canonical list of three-letter calls is here:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/3myst.htm