Re: [IRCA] Odd AM blackout condition for many months. What caused it?

Re: [IRCA] Odd AM blackout condition for many months. What caused it?

Talking earlier about a high A&K. I experienced some fantastic AU cx
back about 1982 here on the coast One night/morning there was nothing
from the North or East. I found KMPC on 710 (No KIRO), and by 11 PM, I
was hearing a Pacific station on 630 all alone that turned out to be
ZK3ZC Cook Islands with 500w. It stayed in until s/off. Also Samoa was
in on 1062 (3 KW), and the dial was loaded with DUs, even dominating DUs
on 540, 630 (miing with Cook Is), 720, 810 (mixing with KGO), and so on.
It was amazing. Any frequency that an Hawaiian was on, I heard,
KOHO-1170 was armchair copy, as well as KZOO-1210. I have never heard
another night quite like that. I have no idea what the A&K were, but it
was amazing to say the least. Got a lot of QSLs out of that opening too,
including ZK3ZC.  I was using my trusty SW EWE, which I still have today
(new wire though.).

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin