[IRCA] New Ultralight Yahoo Group Founded

[IRCA] New Ultralight Yahoo Group Founded

As per the discussion here over the last few days, I've energized the new yahoo group "ultralightdx." It is intended as a place to share discussions, sound clips, ultralight loggings and discussions of ultralight equipment and its possible modification. The group is "unmoderated" meaning that no one previews postings for acceptability, etc. However, normal radio and internet etiquette will prevail, we hope. I should also note that the group is totally public and completely inclusive. Any interested DXer may join without seeking approval from anyone, simply by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ultralightdx/ and clicking "Join."

I'm sure that all of the folks involved in both IRCA and ultralighting join me in thanking the leadership of IRCA and the members of this e-mail group for both the support and the indulgence that you have shown to the rather explosive growth of this new niche of the MW hobby that we all love. The forbearance of the membership who are totally uninterested in ultralighting was and will remain especially appreciated. If some of our postings have seemed overly enthusiastic, its likely that they really were an accurate picture of the thrills that many of us have been getting from these little monsters.

I do not expect that ultralighting will disappear from these pages and I know that Nick's Technical Column will have a number of Ultralight articles in the upcoming months. Likewise, as far as any of us know, there are no plans to abandon the Ultralight dimension that has been so heavily used on dxer.ca. That website's owner, Colin Newell is due special recognition for providing us a web-visible outlet and practically unlimited storage space for important files: a service that this group simply isn't structured to provide. If you wish to just occasionally dip your toe in the water of ultralighting, watching the IRCA message stream and checking in the home page and files areas of dxer.ca is exactly your ticket. If you want all the nitty-gritty of ultralighting, you might want to add the new yahoo group to your other web memberships.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods) + small flock of ultralights
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)