[IRCA] EWE resistance problem

I've noticed that when I adjust the resistance on my ewe antenna using a
local station behind me (West Sound 1035 AM) as a guide, the reduced
signal only holds for a few hours before starting to creep up again.

For example, on the very accurate Perseus S-meter, signal strength will
creep up overnight by 10 or 15 dB from around -75 dB t0 -62 dB. When I
adjust the ewe my local on 1035 has a lower strength than Downtown Radio
1026 AM, which is in front of me in Northern Ireland ..... but by the
morning the local is stronger. I then have to go out to readjust the
resistor to bring it down below 1026 AM.

I think I have eliminated changes in weather, rain for example, so does
anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the cause?

Paul
Troon, Scotland

PS regardless of the problem, this morning's NA reception was very poor.