Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Static noise issue

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In the last couple of days, a noise issue has developed. When I get
> heavy rain, I hear an noise like rubbing two pieces of metal together
> within the house. a scratching/scraping noise.  If I take a portable
> outside, it seems to go away the farther I get from the house. I
> kicked
> the circuit breakers off and it does not do anything. It doesn't do
> it
> everytime it rains, but most of the time a heavy shower hits. True I
> have a metal roof, but the wind does seem to cause the noise. But
> rain
> hitting something does. It is really noticeable on a portable, and in
> the back of the house closer to my antennas, but not on the R8 near
> the
> front of the house as much. Of course the R8 is well grounded. The
> electric frence was arcing the other day, and I fixed that. I even
> shook
> the fence during the heavy rain and it did nothing. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

Sounds like some kind of a short induced by the presence of the water.
or else something where the water is creating an open ciruit, although
this ought to be less likely.

I would check for places where either a) something is grounded - like
the water, telephone, electrical system - and see if something else,
even one of the others, comes close enough for water to cause a short;
b) is the metal roof grounded ? Perhaps it needs to be; c) when you
shut off all of your breakers, check where the power comes into the
house to see if the noise is louder/stronger there - if so there may be
a short on the incoming line.

In short, any place where water might temporarily create a connection
between two metal items which don't normally come in contact could be a cause.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id