Re: [IRCA] CKBD-600 and CBU-690 both Vancouver BC apply to move to FM

Re: [IRCA] CKBD-600 and CBU-690 both Vancouver BC apply to move to FM

Gary,

Yes, I used to have an Winegard SC650 FM Yagi for years, until the
weather broke it up. I even replaced it, but it did not last long again.
I only had it 20 feet above the ground on a pole too. The strong winds
are bad for antennas here. I got FM regularly from Vancouver to Eureka
and over to Eastern WA (Spokane, Tri Cities, etc). It was great. Of
course, that was before the dial filled up. I still have my Pioneer 9100
in the other room, but it needs a new off/on switch. That is
complicated, not the usual two wire job, so I haven't used it in
sometime. But it was a good receiver. It blows the circuit breaker when
I turn it on. A short of some kind.
When I lived in Portland both Bill Block & I DXed TV skip, got lots of E
Skip, even Ch 4  from Columbus OH, a double hop. Got about 100 TV QSLs
and 200-300 on FM. So it was fun.  But again, our bad winds have been
worse the past few years, so no antenna other than some commercial grade
one, would survive. I need to replace a bunch of elements on my little
TV antenna after our winds of late.  I was even a member of the WTFDA
for several years.
   I am sure any radio will get TPs here. I had a little GE handheld
portable with earphones (I think I still have it somewhere), that got
the powerhouse JJs.  Someone reported hearing TPs with a Crystal Set
some years back. It doesn't surprise me as JOUB can be S9+40DB often.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager