[IRCA] TPs for Tuesday, Nov. 6: Really Good Morning!!

[IRCA] TPs for Tuesday, Nov. 6: Really Good Morning!!

Man, this hobby is beguiling...

Yesterday, most of my TP compatriots were waxing poetic about the
wonderful morning and mine was good but nothing really to write home
about.  This morning, most folks reporting so far are describing a
mediocre morning and I had the best one that I've had in three weeks or so.

I was at the dials two hours before dawn, again (LSR=1506) and the
band was jumping.  1300-1330 was almost exclusively JJs , with quite
a bit of audio.  Dawn was a disappointment for most of the JJs who
were either weaker or gone completely. A few of the JJs stayed in and
even got a good bit stronger, especially very late.... but most were
poorer at dawn.

The Chinese and a number of other strange things started getting good
about 1400 and most continued to get a bit better over time. Dawn
enhancement for me lasted a full 30 minutes after dawn... much later
than usual, as Walt also noted.

The interesting things:

720 is KDWN, in Nevada... but by dawn enhancement that isn't a
problem here... and its completely gone with he Wellbrook... so 720
is my only truly open frequency that contains both NAM ands Int'l
stations.  I've been watching it like a hawk for Kotzebue Alaska or
anything TP.... Nothing all season until this morning when it was
Pyongyang Bangsong at a very low level of audio. They either have a
really directional antenna or a very sick transmitter on 720.

774 Japan was just HUGE at 1300.... could literally charge batteries
with that signal

810 was R. Rossii// a much attenuated 279.... 810 was ever so much better.

837 Harbin was HUGE late... 1515 or so... barely there an hour earlier.

864 I swear that there was an OC here at good level for quite a while
early. Later, I got the very low level audio that I've long been curious about.

891 was Thailand doing well in the middle of dawn

836 Anhui hasn't been the arm chair copy this season that it has been
the past two, but it was doing great this morning.

945 CNR1 was great at 1300, sorta down at 1400 and HUGE at 1500... go
figure.  KJR 950 slop was horrible this morning until they switched
to their day pattern which points a bit away from me.  Made a real
difference.  That Day/Night pattern shift may be why I've always
gotten 954 Japan much better late and hardly at all early. Gee, how
many years did it take for me to figure that out?

1062 was HLKQ late.... expecting the Filipino here. Hummmm

1080 that 1.5 megawatt KCBS station was there late, beneath KFXX

1206 China in Korean. I happened to be sitting here listening briefly
at 1530UT whit the station booming in.  Let me tell you they do a
pattern switch at 1530. It dropped like a rock, but I could still see
the off-channel carrier way down in the noise.  Either that or they
blew a major amplifier at exactly 1530 but still kept the carrier
sort of on the air.

1242, 1287,1400, 1422 and 1503 were all the usual Japanese and all
good only after dawn for me, with 1503 being the weakest.

1386 had the NHK2 Synchros most of the morning, for the first time in weeks.

1548 I've been noticing a carrier here on good far south mornings for
the past three weeks. If it is there, it is late. Conventional wisdom
would be 4QD, but I don't hear Australia here very well (the Victoria
Gang of Three hears them much better. Also, I haven't been hearing
DUs much even when they do.... when 639 is Fiji for them, it is
ALWAYS either inaudible or CNR1 for me. Yesterday, Walt had Fiji and
I had CNR1(!) Anyway, I've dared to fantasize that I might hear the
monster DW transmitter in Sri Lanka, since Bruce heard them at
Grayland and then again at QCI. Well, late this morning... until
after 1535 UTC, 1548 was in audio.  It was the stable, unfading audio
that I noticed on the longest range signals during the Easter Island
DXpedition. Unfortunately, it was stable just at the threshold of
intelligibility. No way could I (or anyone else) possibly ID the
language (Hindi at that hour.)  Nuts, Nuts, Nuts!!!  I listened to
long stretches of the lowest possible mumble level audio.  Well,
everybody needs the equivalent of the Search for the Holy Grail, I

A wonderful morning, really!

John B.