Re: [IRCA] WOKJ

> WOKJ was a real powerhouse.  During the day they were pretty much
> directional east-west protecting 1550 in Shreveport and then, 50kw WMOO in
> Mobile.
> WMOO eventually changed frequency to 660 and uses the same tower  site.
> At night the 10kw pattern was more WNW and ESE, right at Jacksonville
> where
> some nights they sounded like a local.  WOKJ used six towers day and night
> and since they had a 100kw FM, it got to the point it was too expensive to
> maintain so they pulled the plug.  Across a good hunk of Dixie, WOKJ was
> WLAC's
> only competition.

WOKJ was my first Mississippi station heard, in 1976, back in the days when
I was adding new states to my logbook..and back when CBE-1550 used to sign
off at 0105 ELT.  After that WOKJ logging, it took me almost 30 years to add
a new state (Fox Farm, WY on 1630).

I heard WMOO on an equipment test in 1977.  QSLed with verie letter signed
by Wilbur H. Goforth.  One of those names that may be a candidate for the
Roger Kaputnik award - a real person whose name could have been contrived by
MAD magazine - along with former NHLer Zarley Zalapski, and former Padres
(and/or Braves?) pitcher Juan Eichelberger.

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON