Re: [IRCA] Flash Back - 70's and 80's

Colin,

When we moved back to the coast in 1979, I moved into a duplex 1/2 block
from the ocean in Seaside. I knew little about antennas and I just took
a piece of wire, ran it out the window and out around the back of the
building. I would get up to DX morning after morning. Often I would stay
up all night and get by with a few hours of sleep. I went from a half a
dozen DUs QSL'd to over 200 in a few years.  With much of the skip
coming in at low angles, much of the DX did not make it inland, per of
DXers reports. I installed the SW EWE in 1981 out here and I remember
logging ZK1ZC-630-Cook Islands with 500 watts. Those were amazing years.
I don't see 4MK 1026 McKay, Q coming in at S9+20 DB any longer. Infact I
just relogged them recently under the calls 4 Double A, and they have
been those calls for a number of years. I just do not see the fantastic
DU openings any longer.  Now the TP openings are better than ever. I
noticed that by 1992 when I logged Shillong India 864 and Nepal 792 &
576, and Bangladesh 558.
The TP DX of today is far surperior. I have never seen these type of cx
in the past, like 30-40 years ago. However, the TPs were not on splits
for the most part either.
 We have many more active DXers today with DXpeditions, better
receivers, and better antennas. For years, I reported DX no one else
reported. Now, when I hear something, often another DXer in the NW hears
it too. It is nice to have that support today. It helps a lot in IDing
catches too.
But the DU DX of 1979-1985 was amazing. I am glad I was at the dials
most of the time then. I would have missed out on alot of great DX and
QSLs. As a side note, as with Canadians, alot of Aussies have gone to FM
too.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin