[IRCA] CKMW-1570 to move to FM?

On 11-Oct-07, at 11:20 AM, Doug Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 09:55 -0600, Deane McIntyre wrote:
>> <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2007/n2007-14.htm#9>
>
> Notice that item #38 could be taken to imply that CKMW-1570 in
> Manitoba
> is moving to FM.
>
> Or maybe not.
>
> --

Right you are - not clear in the CRTC info at

>> <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2007/n2007-14.htm#38>

but in the actual application they state that if approved CKMW-1570
will move to FM while
keeping the AM transmitter on the air:

-------------------------------------
Provide a brief description of your application:

  The area in question is located in Southern Manitoba along the U.S./
Canada border.

CKMW 1570 is operating a Country Music format on the AM Band.

The area in question has a U.S. radio operator – purporting to be a
Canadian broadcaster.

They have a small studio in Canada, and their IDs claim to be
Canadian.  They offer a Country music format.

We propose to put CKMW on the FM band  so we can compete “quality
wise” on an even footing with the U.S. broadcaster.

This would normally be viewed as a flip from AM to FM

We do however, want to keep the AM signal on the air.  The physical
plant is in good shape, and there is no need to scrap a perfectly
good vehicle.

We plan to air sports and other local information on this AM station
as long as there is an AM audience.

Since we already have staff, equipment and facilities in place, this
process can be done at a relatively low cost.

Approval of this application will do two things.

Help us drive the American broadcaster back to his side of the border.

Provide additional diversity in programming for the area.

I wonder what station (I presume FM) is the

"U.S. radio operator – purporting to be a Canadian broadcaster"

73,

Deane McIntyre VE6BPO