Re: [IRCA] Cheater term and the FCC - earliest known?

Re: [IRCA] Cheater term and the FCC - earliest known?

> I know the HS FB rule as we used it back in the 70s when I worked at
> KVAS Astoria. The salesmen would sell the spots and the advertiser
would
> want to hear his spots during the game. If we dropped power at LSS to
> 250w, the station was gone 5-10 miles out of town, so we stayed on 1
KW
> until the FD game was over.

I think I can claim the earliest known instance of what some have
referred to as "Cheating". I think it was in 1959, when I was still in
high school. A playoff game was in progress to decide which
team would represent the National League in the World Series.

The game went into extra innings, and I - when living in New Jersey -
was listening to the game on CFOR 1570 Orillia, Ontario, who were
booming in with the game feed. (This was when all US 1570 were
daytimers and had long since s/off)

There was an echo of the game audio behind CFOR. I have no real
idea of the time but it must have been around 8 PM. I was recording
this on my dad's Webcor tape recorder. The game finally ended,
and CFOR was carrying the post-game wrap-up, and the echo was still
there, but suddenly ended. The CFOR announcer said "Hear the
World Series on Cee - FOR" and paused for about 2 seconds, and
in that gap could clearly but faintly be heard "This is radio station
KMCD in Fairfield, Iowa.." and right away, the game announcer
came back and said something like "Well that was quite a game".

KMCD immediately went to a s/off, which was essentially not
understandable u/CFOR and less than a minute later, they were
gone. The CFOR coverage of the game wrap-up continued normally.

Several reports to KMCD were never answered. (surprise...)
and it remains one of the few 1570 sunset loggings I never verified.

I still, somewhere, have a copy of this tape, which is how I
remember it so well. I think I was still playing it for others at
DX GTG's into the 1970's. Maybe Russ remembers it?

CFOR then was considered a nuisance signal for those of us
who were trying to hear the 1570 US daytimers' signoff,
they ranged from inaudible to strong on various nights. I seem
to remember that the Iowa reception was maybe 45 minutes to an
hour after their scheduled s/off, but given the nature of the game,
I can understand how this happened, in an area that probably had
no real TV usage then, and it was either radio, or nothing, for news.

Maybe some of the sports enthusiasts can cross check this game
and confirm my recollection of the year. I've long since forgotten the
teams, etc.

- Bob